Tuesday, February 14, 2017

A Summary and Reflection of 'Rebel Music'



Summary
In the essay “Rebel Music,” Daniel Felsenfeld, a composer, author, and teacher of music at City College of New York, explains that despite many dispositions in his childhood, he found a deep inspiration in music in his late adolescence. 

In his high school years, the contradictory norm among Felsenfeld’s circle of friends was to adopt a rebellious style with goth, punk, or straight edge clothing and attitudes. With their image, along came their auditory preferences, correspondingly: metal, punk or other anti-establishment music.  However, one day one of his friends  reintroduced Felsenfield to the classical sounds of Beethoven, and immediately being attracted to such music, Felsenfeld was forever changed into a rebel among rebels–or so he thought.  Listening to the music in secret, it was unbeknownst to Felsenfeld, that he wasn’t the only one that listened to classical music.  As he grew older and developed his own piano playing abilities (that he’d lousily carried since his youth) Felsenfeld met others like himself–composers, teachers, and other musicians–who were inspired by classical music, just as he was.  With the knowledge and support offered by these confidants and mentors, Felsenfeld was able to compose his own music, presenting his own vision that is always summoned by the inspirational feelings imbued by the tunes of Beethoven.
Reflection
Some of the strongest moments in our lives are the moments of clarity.  When one has an epiphany as Felsenfeld did, there is a revival of one’s purpose, even if reshaped.  For me such moments have existed when I’ve watched film.  Art can have a way of evoking feelings that you may not have consciously acknowledged–feelings of hope or perseverance to believe there’s still a chance that things might work out in the end.  As Felsenfeld does, I aspire to forge some piece of beauty out of nothingness in the image of my inspirations.  When establishing a piece, it is these moments of clarity, the feelings that we had in those times that have the power to shape nothingness into art.  Felsenfeld uses this process to mold his music just as I use it to write my words. The pen is the sharpest weapon, whether using it to write words or notes it has the power to inspire the artist within the indifferent. 

2 comments:

  1. I see you have read and thought about this text very well! I enjoyed reading your take on the reading and you opened my eyes to what was really going on in Felsenfeld's head, such as how you said that he had an epiphany and found his purpose and inspiration through classical music. I am glad you like to write, like Felsenfeld liked to compose and listen to classical music. I hope you use your talents and abilities to their strongest potential!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I'm in my first year of college, taking English comp 1 and had to read Felsenfeld's Rebel Music. I was having trouble with answering the questions following the passage about the significance of the text. Until I read this, mentioning The Epiphany, I was completely confused. But now I understand. Thank you!

      Delete