Thursday, February 2, 2017

The Aubin Sprecher Movie Playlist


Although the ideas offered by motion pictures exist only in a fictional realm, they impact my life surprisingly more than most influences offered in the physical world. 
Five films that represent the impressions film has made upon me include: Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story, Watchmen, Inception, 500 Days of Summer, and The Shawshank Redemption. 

Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story may stick out like a sore thumb as the silliest film on the list, yet for most people there is often a “go-to” movie that they have likely seen dozens of times over.  Because it derives comedy from the pity of nerds and their physical “torture” (involving rubber balls), Dodgeball is that case for me. 

In a vastly opposite side of the spectrum in regards to the film genre, Watchmen monuments for me a film involving the dilemmas of real life, posing the question “do the ends justify the means?”  When the heroes become the villains, a film like this suggests that we assess our own actions, which is something I try to do every day. 

Inception appeals to me because it offers such a beauty in its intricacy. The film is like a symphony in that the sounds, images, and introspective thoughts invoked upon the audience create a synchronized serenade of senses as well as ideas.  Films that make you think in an artistic way are what the world needs. 

In Contrast to films that make you think, 500 Days of Summer is certainly a film that has made me feel.  Heartbreak is a lonely feeling, and as an audience member, somehow seeing someone else have that hardship too, makes the world feel a little less lonely. 

Lastly, The Shawshank Redemption showcases friendship in the saddest of prisons.  Reality itself often is cold and dark, but it is not without the flicker of hope.  Shawshank is a film that has inspired me to hope, and to pursue my dreams.  

Each of these films came into my life sporadically up until I was barely in High School and they have come to shape my outlook on life.  When seeing this list I hope people assume that I value attention to detail.  As is in the title “A True Underdog Story”, one of the most intriguing aspects of all these films is the human spirit.  One of the most liberating feelings when watching a film is to see your own feelings validated and exemplified in film.  The connections, the inspirations, and the admirations offered by film give people a glimpse into something bigger than themselves—a place we can learn from and strive towards.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked how you picked movies for your playlist instead of songs. How do films impact your life differently than music does? I also liked how for every film you picked, you described it and how it inspires you. The conclusion of your blog post is also really well written and I agree that films inspire people to learn and strive for something bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you thought the conclusion was well written, thanks! Music is amazing in itself, still when it's added to film it's like there's a whole new dimension to the meaning. It's as if music is just one layer, or one story to a building, but with all the other parts to a film, there is such a much larger structure as a result. They affect me in similar ways, but film has more density.

    ReplyDelete